By Kevin Duguid
SCOTTISH rugby star Max Evans has had his nightclub assault trial delayed so he can prepare for the world cup.
The 27-year-old was due to go on trial on August 15 to face allegations he hit a man in the face with a glass at an Edinburgh club.
Evans appeared at the city’s sheriff court for a preliminary hearing today at which his lawyer, James Kelly, asked for a delay.
Mr Kelly told the court: “Mr Evans is in the process of preparing at the moment of working towards the forthcoming world cup in Australia and new Zealand.
Mr Kelly said there were two internationals in August,
“the latter of these is on August 20 at Murrayfield.”
He added that a previous trial date had been delayed by the Crown and Fiscal Depute Dev Kapadia made no objection to setting a new trial date.
Sheriff Derek Mcintyre set a new trial date for November.
Evans is said to have assaulted Alasdair McCaig by striking him in the face with a glass to his injury. It is alleged that Mr McCaig was left severely injured, permanently impaired and scarred for life.
The incident was said to have happened at Edinburgh’s upmarket nightspot Lulu on George Street on August 1 last year.
Mr Kelly said Evans, who earned his first cap for Scotland against Canada in 2008 and has played for Glasgow Warriors, maintained his not guilty plea to the charge.
Evans, from Glasgow, is on bail under the conditions he does not go to Lulu Nightclub or approach or attempt to contact Mr McCaig.