Elderly woman taken to hospital after bedroom fire

The elderly woman was rescued by a neighbour who alerted the fire service.

By Emma Hamilton

AN elderly woman was found last night in her home with her bed clothes on fire after knocking over a lamp in her bedroom.

A concerned neighbour averted a more serious incident when he went to check on the woman and discovered she had fallen in her bedroom causing a lamp to fall over and start a small fire.

Firefighters were called to the property in Ashley Gardens in the Shandon area of Edinburgh just after 8pm on Wednesday evening.

The resident of the street became worried after he had not seen his 89-year-old neighbour.

He went to investigate and discovered the woman in her bedroom with her bed clothes smouldering.

The man was able to extinguish the fire and called for an ambulance who alerted Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service.

The 89-year-old woman was taken by ambulance to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary with a suspected shoulder injury.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said:

“It is very lucky that a vigilant neighbour who noticed that he had not seen any lights on in the elderly woman’s home went to check on her.

“Without doubt, in raising the alarm  so quickly he prevented a more serious incident. He also ensured that the woman received prompt medical attention for her injury.

“If you have an elderly neighbour, relative or friend you can help protect from fire by ensuring they have a working smoke detector in their home. This will raise the alarm if fire breaks out.

“If you live in the Lothian and Borders Service area, you can book a free home safety visit where local firefighters will come to your home and fit a free smoke detector.

“They will also be able to give the occupier fire safety advice specific to their own circumstances. To book an appointment call 0800 169 0320.”









Previous articleVandals attack city playpark
Next articleTeenager guilty of murdering classmate


  1. How incredibly luck that she had such an attentive neighbour. It is so important to have a working fire alarm to help alert everyone in the area of a fire danager

Comments are closed.