Dunfermline skipper Callum Fordyce poised for long-awaited comeback against Hibs

0
120

BY IAIN COLLIN – @CCP_sport

CALLUM Fordyce is poised to make his first appearance in nearly a year against Hibernian on Saturday as he bids to win a new deal at Dunfermline.

The Pars club captain has been sidelined since suffering a horrific broken leg and dislocated ankle against Ayr United on September 12 last year.

The former Livingston defender has endured a long road to recovery since surgery to repair the damage but has battled back to fitness in recent weeks.

Dunfermline EEP

He was named amongst the substitutes for the first time for the League Cup defeat to Dundee United almost a fortnight ago and again for Saturday’s opening-day victory over Dumbarton after proving his readiness with a series of outings for the under-20s and in friendlies.

And the 24-year-old, who was only given a short-term deal in April because of his injury, could now finally make his long-awaited return for the first-team at Easter Road.

The Fifers are without summer signing Lee Ashcroft because of suspension after the former Kilmarnock stopper was red-carded late in the 4-3 win against Dumbarton and manager Allan Johnston has revealed Fordyce is being considered for a starting berth.

He said: “Lee is obviously suspended and that will be a big loss for us, because he’s started the season well.

“But we’re quite lucky, we’ve got a couple of other options. It’s an opportunity for someone to come in and play.

“Callum’s been in contention in the last couple of weeks, he’s been back playing.

“We’ve still to make a final decision on that. We’ve got options and we’ll have a chat to Callum and decide what the best way is, going forward.”

Contract

The contract Fordyce penned in the wake of Dunfermline’s League One title triumph expires at the end of August and was designed to allow the Pars to assess his recovery from such a serious injury.

A run-out and assured display against Hibs tomorrow would undoubtedly press his case for fresh terms.

Johnston added: “We’d said all along that we would wait until nearer the time, to give him the best opportunity to get 100 per cent fit.

“That’s what we need, people that are going to compete in the squad.

“And, to be fair, he’s worked really hard to get himself to where he is now.

“He’s put in a lot of good performances for the under-20s and in the friendly games he’s played. You can see he’s improving, game on game.”

@IainCollin

NO COMMENTS