You are finally ready to purchase a new car. Once you have decided on some makes and models of vehicles you would like to consider buying, you are ready to make your first move. The first thing you have to consider is whether you are going purchase from a dealer or from a private seller. While both of these options have benefits, there are also some drawbacks as well, and knowing the benefits and drawbacks is important before spending any money.
Purchasing From A Dealer
When you purchase from a car dealer, you can expect to benefit from the following services:
- Vehicle has been checked over from problems and has been properly serviced
- You can find the exact vehicle you want
- The car will have a clear title, and there will be no problems with ownership
- You will have the option of purchasing a warranty
- You can return the car within a certain time period if there is a problem
- Various cars in the same place, which makes browsing easier
Purchasing from a dealership does have a few drawbacks as well. These include:
- Vehicles are often higher priced than when purchased from an individual
- Purchasing from a car lot takes a lot of time – prepare for an all-day event
To find the right dealer for your purchase, you can use the Autovolo Dealer Search and find a list of dealers near your location. All you need to do is enter your postcode, and you can then find dealers near you.
Buying A Car From An Individual
There are also advantages to purchasing a vehicle from a private individual. If you are lucky enough to find the car that you want for sale by an individual, you can:
- You can get to know the owner of the vehicle and ask questions about maintenance history
- A quick sale process – transactions can be done within an hour or so
- You can generally get a better price, and private sellers are open to haggling
The drawbacks to purchasing from an individual include:
- Not knowing the mechanical soundness of the vehicle
- Not having access to a warranty
- Being unable to return the vehicle if there is an issue
Although both types of car purchases have their benefits, it is easy to see that the benefits of purchasing directly from a dealer may be in your best interest. Knowing that the vehicle is in good repair and safe to use from the moment that you leave the car lot outweighs the inconveniences of the extended time it takes to purchase a vehicle.
Remember, when you are purchasing a vehicle that you should always shop around. Search for dealers in your area and see what they each have to offer. You may be surprised at the difference in pricing and services offered from each dealer, even for the same type of car. If you know the value of the vehicle that you are interested in before you begin shopping, you will have a leg up.