Kilmarnock goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald keeping fingers crossed over injury amid goalie crisis at Rugby Park


BY DARREN JOHNSTONE – Capital City Press

Kilmarnock goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald admits he is praying that he has managed to avoid a lengthy lay-off after ‘rolling his ankle’ in Saturday’s win over St Johnstone

The former Hearts shot-stopper was replaced in the 53rd minute of the 2-1 victory after catching his studs in the ground.

MacDonald underwent a scan yesterday and is expected to discover the extent of the problem today.

Pic: Tom Hodgkinson
MacDonald caught his studs on the ground against St Johnstone


But the 29-year-old is optimistic about the diagnosis after initially fearing he had suffered a serious injury to his knee.

MacDonald, who has not ruled out playing against Hearts in tomorrow’s League Cup third round tie, said: “It’s not too bad, it’s not as serious as it could have been.

“I caught my stubs in the ground and I ended up rolling my ankle. I actually thought I had done my knee at first but falling over probably helped me.

“My knee feels brand new at the moment but there is potentially a bit of ligament damage in my ankle, although that’s still to be confirmed.

“I had the scans on Monday and I’ll most likely get the results on Tuesday.

“I don’t feel too bad at the moment but I don’t know about Wednesday.

“Touch wood I’m okay but I’ll wait and see what the results say.

“You don’t want to get injured at an stage, you want to play as many games as you can.”

MacDonald’s injury has left manager Gary Locke frantically trying to sign a shot-stopper ahead of tomorrow’s League Cup visit of Hearts.

The Rugby Park side have been left with only 16-year-old Ryan Millar as their only available keeper.

Oliver Davies has returned to parent club Swansea to recover from injury, while Connor Brennan, who replaced MacDonald at the weekend, is cup-tied.

Killie are also unable to recall youngster Devlin Mackay from his loan at Derby County.

Locke said: “It’s a huge worry for us at the moment, Jamie’s ankle was badly swollen and we obviously got an injury to Oliver Davis, who was the back up keeper, and he’s had to go back to Swansea, which is a bit of a disaster for us.

“We’re trying to work on one or two things at the moment because Devlin is down at Derby and we’re not allowed to call him back.

“It’s a big headache at the minute and we’re trying to get something sorted before Wednesday.”