Monday, July 4, 2022
NewsMcDonald's apologises to shocked customer who found dead spider in McChicken sandwich

McDonald’s apologises to shocked customer who found dead spider in McChicken sandwich

MCDONALD’S have apologised after a shocked customer found a dead spider in her McChicken Sandwich.

Ciara Harvie, from Longniddry, East Lothian, decided to nip into a McDonald’s for a quick bite to eat.

The 20-year-old ordered a McChicken Sandwich from the chain’s drive through at Fort Kinnaird in Edinburgh.

But after taking a bite into her £3.19 burger, she was disgusted to discover the small brown critter wedged between strands of lettuce.

The classical singer said she immediately took the burger back to the store on Monday afternoon (APR 2), to be met by a manager who wouldn’t apologise.

Ciara spotted the spider in her McChicken burger after she had taken a bite out of it

He instead gave her a replacement burger, which she didn’t eat.

McDonald’s have since apologised and offered Ciara another replacement meal, which she also declined.

Ciara shared her disgust on Facebook with a picture of the dead spider nestled in amongst the shredded lettuce on the top of her burger – and still in the McDonald’s packaging.

The spider’s body and legs are clearly visible in one of the close-up pictures,

She wrote: “Went to McDonald’s at Fort Kinnaird today and found a dead spider in my burger.

“I took it back and didn’t even get an apology. I don’t think I’ll be going back anything soon.”

McDonald’s have apologised for the incident at the chain’s Fort Kinnaird store in Edinburgh

Ciara’s post has been shared nearly 2,000 times since she posted it to Facebook on Monday afternoon (APR 2).

Social media users were quick to comment on the post and share their disgust at Ciara’s discovery.

Leam Wilcox said: “One should never really eat McDonald’s. A lesson learned.”

Claire Mcdade added: “WTF. Naw. That’s disgusting. They’d have had a dead spider and a dead customer if that was me.”

The 20-year-old shared her disgust on Facebook

Speaking today, Ciara said: “I didn’t realise it was a spider at first, I just thought it was a piece of brown lettuce or something. I looked closer and was shocked to see it was a dead spider.

“I understand that things like this happen, and probably not very often, but I think the way they handled it was the most disappointing thing.”

A spokeswoman for McDonald’s said: ““We are sorry to hear about this customer’s experience. Food quality and safety are of the utmost importance to us and we place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards in order to avoid any imperfections.

“At the time, we apologised to the customer and provided her with a replacement McChicken sandwich. We have since spoken again with the customer to apologise once more and offer another replacement meal, which was declined.”

In 2002, an Edinburgh woman discovered spiders in her McDonald’s burger and burst into tears when she noticed one in the box.

Lezley Beird, from Portobello, immediately spat out the food in her mouth – only to realise there was also another spider actually in the burger.

McDonald’s apologised and admitted there were spiders in the burger which she bought in the chain’s store in Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire.

Related Stories