Thursday, July 7, 2022
NewsScottish NewsElderly woman in hospital after fire at sheltered housing complex

Elderly woman in hospital after fire at sheltered housing complex

AN elderly woman was being treated in hospital after a blaze ripped through the kitchen of her sheltered housing flat.

The 95-year-old was rescued when her neighbour, an 85-year-old man, raised the alarm by calling 999 shortly after 11am today (Sun).

The fire had spread from the cooker to the microwave and caused “considerable damage” to the kitchen at the property, which is part of St Bernard’s House sheltered housing complex in the Stockbridge area of Edinburgh.

Both were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but only the woman was taken to the new Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh at Little France.

Neither the man nor the woman had a working smoke alarm fitted and straight after the incident officers from Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service fitted both properties with them.

St Bernard’s House was built in 1987 and comprises of 47 one and two bedroom flats.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “We were called to the sheltered housing complex at a sheltered housing complex in Henderson Row.

“There was a fire in the kitchen, which involved both the cooker and the microwave, and there was considerable damage to the kitchen.

“A 95-year-old woman was taken to hospital after her 85-year-old neighbour raised the alarm.

“We have since fitted smoke alarms at both of the flats there as part of our community safety service.”

Related Stories