Woman finds animal tooth in Fray Bentos pie

Maryka Field was horrified to discover the animal tooth in her pie.

A WOMAN enjoying her first meal following stomach surgery was disgusted to find an animal tooth in the pie she was eating.

Maryka Field was physically sick after discovering the tooth in the Fray Bentos minced beef and vegetable pie, purchased from her local Poundland store.

The 23-year-old, from Dunfermline, Fife, started choking and fighting for her breath after biting into the pie.

Maryka, had been looking forward to her first proper meal since undergoing the surgery at Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline.

She said: “I was sitting quite happily eating away, then I started choking and couldn’t catch my breath.

“I eventually managed to get this big, solid lump out. I put my plate down, struggled up and ran to the bathroom to be sick.”

When the offending article was washed she realised it was a tooth.

Maryka’s partner, Kirstie Morrison, had organised the special meal to celebrate her discharge from hospital.

She served up the dinner of pie, potatoes and sweetcorn last Friday at the flat they share.

Kirstie said: “We were sitting having our tea and she started choking.

“I asked what was wrong and she coughed up the tooth.

“At that point I didn’t know it was a tooth. I took it into the bathroom, washed it and it looked like an animal’s tooth. It’s absolutely vile. She was sick after it and wouldn’t eat the rest of her tea.

“I was more angry than anything. You read about these things in the papers but don’t expect it to happen to you.”

A Spokesman for Fray Bentos said: “Fray Bentos regard all these matters of the upmost importance. We are currently awaiting the lab results and until such time that these come back we are not in a position to comment.”

A spokeswoman from Poundland said the company was aware of the complaint and was currently undertaking an investigation, she added: “Poundland is working with the supplier to hopefully resolve this issue as quickly as possible.”