Friday, August 19, 2022
NewsScottish NewsFamily terror as fire traps them in bedroom

Family terror as fire traps them in bedroom

The firefighters rescued the family from the first floor of their home

A TWO year-old boy was trapped in an upstairs bedroom with his parents after an alleged petrol bomb attack on his family’s home.

Nigel and Elaine Brown huddled in fear with their son as smoke began to fill their property in Ormiston, East Lothian.

The couple called the emergency services after they were awoken by a loud bang and realised their home was on fire in the early hours of Sunday morning.

A man has now been charged in connection with the incident.

Mr Brown, 40, said:  “We were woken by a loud bang from downstairs and almost instantly smoke began pouring into the bedroom.

“Elaine and I were in our bedroom with our boy but we couldn’t get out because the fire had started at the door.


“We don’t know if the bang was a petrol bomb or if it was the electricity box going but there was smoke everywhere. The pram was right in front of the door and we think it melted and that made the fumes worse.”

Mr Brown said they were forced to hang out of an upstairs windows for fresh air.

He said: “My wife managed to phone the fire brigade and I was shouting to my neighbours to bring a ladder so we could get my son out.

“My cousin, who lives in the street, ran down with the ladder and we were about to get him out when the fire crews arrived and took over.

“We passed my boy out and my wife and I went out the window after him.

“A lot of the downstairs is completely gutted, and there’s a lot of smoke damage upstairs.

Mrs Brown said: “It was really frightening. There was just no warning at all.”

Fire crews spent around two hours extinguishing the blaze.

A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said a man has been arrested and charged in connection with the incident.

Related Stories