A 17TH century townhouse that was once visited by King George V has hit the market for £445,000.
Originally known as Cuttlehill House, Aberdour House in Fife bears a date lintel of 1672 on the east wing, although the house is believed to date slightly earlier than this.
The house was believed to be built for James Douglas, the 11th Earl of Morton, who held the estates of Orkney and Shetland.
During the first World War, Aberdour House was also used as the official residence of Admiral Beatty, commander of the grand fleet.
1st Earl Beatty was a Royal navy officer who commanded the 1st Battlecruiser Squadron at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
He was believed to have been visited by King George V whilst residing there during the war.
George V was himself in the navy from 1877 to 1892.
He was not expected to gain the throne, being third in line behind his father, Prince Albert Edward and his brother Prince Albert Victor.
However, when his brother died in 1892 during an Influenza pandemic, George V was next in line and went onto marry his deceased brother’s former fiancee, Mary of Teck.
In the late 20th century the house fell into disrepair and in the early 1990’s it was redeveloped to form three individual townhouse.
Estate agents Maloco and Associates have now listed part of Aberdour House, 1 Hewitt Place, on the market for offers over £445,000.
The five bedroom property comes with a private garden and communal gardens facing towards the River Forth.
Having been restored in the 1990s, the townhouse’s master bedroom now has an en-suite and walk-in wardrobe.
There are still remnants of the history of the property, such as the spiral staircase and minstrel’s gallery.
The property brochure reads: “The property itself dates to the 17th century, built for the Earl of Morton.
“During the first world war it was used as the official residence of Admiral Beatty, commander of the Grand Fleet.
“Whilst there he was visited by King George V.
“Internally the accommodation briefly comprises of a reception hallway, master bedroom with modern en-suite and walk-in wardrobe, two further bedrooms, one which has a door giving access to a private garden and could be used as a sitting room and a modern family bathroom.
“On the first floor there is the drawing room with twin large sash windows giving uninterrupted views towards the River Forth.
“Externally there is a delightful south facing private garden that overlooks the communal gardens and commands a superb open view over the countryside towards the river.”
Amenities include Silver Sands Beach, a golf course and tennis club and Aberdour Railway Station which is located just minutes away from the property.